Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Queer Divine, July 13-15


As the installation continues to grow, people are consistently curious and excited about getting involved. What I love about working on the art installation is the many levels at which people can enjoy it. Some jump in whole-heartedly, reading every cupcake tin, writing their own, and proudly wearing the age they wish to be on their chest for the night. Others love taking ownership of the project with their own answers, but are more reserved about joining the faux birthday party. And then there are those who are happy just to read and observe. Regardless of their level of involvement, everyone seems to really enjoy the exhibit. I had one woman thank me for giving her the “pleasure” of participating.

I’ve also seem some interesting individual takes on the project…I found one of the 40 year old tins in the under ten section. I don’t know if that person was trying to fit in with a younger crowd or just got confused. Another young lady got really enthusiastic about the installation and dragged her date over explaining fervently what was all about. I was happy to let her do the talking since she seemed so excited about it, but then I saw her walking into the theatre with someone else’s metallic cupcake tin clothes-pinned to her chest instead of one of the paper and safety pin ones. It was definitely a highly interactive choice! We eventually corrected her, but I kind of like her interpretation better…

I’ve noticed that just like live performance, the audience is different every night in how they interact with the installation. On the first night, I spent lots of time talking with people about their lives while I wrote their cupcakes for them. This evening, however, most were more inclined to quietly observe and do it themselves. No matter. I think we actually got more responses tonight from private participants. Before long, there won’t be anymore room!

- Jenny Curatola

No comments:

Post a Comment